Saturday 7 May 2011

The gaming addiction starts

So in September last year I started collecting retro and more recent video games and consoles.  

It all really stemmed from me reminiscing and the Philips CDi.  I started searching EBay for  Philips CDi as I really wanted one when I was a kid but didn’t get one.  I watched a number of them but didn’t really plump for one, I just kept doubting myself when going to bid.  I knew I also wanted a SNES and a Megadrive, but for some reason I was drawn to a Gamecube initially. I had never really noticed them before; I was too much into my Playstation, so when one came up for £4 I thought why not? 

This was the start of what is now a largish and pretty costly collection.

As well as many EBay purchases, games and consoles, I also discovered Cash Generator and later Cash Converter.  I had never been in one of these shops before so braved my local Cash Generator in Manchester City Centre.  I was astounded to find some amazing games (Gamecube, PS2, PS1 and later many other consoles) for between 99p and £2! Needless to say I bought many on that first eventful visit.

Initially I started to go to the car boot sale once or twice a month with lacklustre results. I would pick up bits and bobs but I needed more..... I looked back at the amazing results I had in Cash Generator and decided that I would visit a few more around Greater Manchester.  In order to maximise my hauls I also included Cash Converters, other pawn shops (not CEX it’s too expensive as a rule) and charity shops.  For about 8 weekends on the trot I would visit four or five towns around Greater Manchester and surrounding areas with a list of Charity shops and pawn shops I had researched off the internet.  I had some amazing finds and a few disappointments, but in all I had so  much fun bringing out my latent caveman hunter gatherer skills.  I still do my “quests” but not every week, it gets me out and about and mingling with the general public LOL.  Initially I thought I was the only one who did such a crazy thing, but I have since seen around the internet other collectors do, it’s a great way to get bargains.  You do have to be careful though as some of the pawn shops know the worth of games and systems and so charge as such, similar with the Charity shops.  But you do find some that have no idea and you get ridiculously cheap rare games.

WARNING!  If you are thinking about doing it in Manchester and surrounding towns then don’t, it’s my area and I am not afraid to mark my territory if needs be! ;-) LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment